Pages

Day 49 - more reflections on real estate and stuff

2011/11/09

Writing the previous post about finding a home in Milan surely was useful for receiving some clarifications from the best real estate expert I have around. So, as I discovered, some of my assumptions were wrong (lesson to be learnt: never assume that the same things mean the same thing in 2 different languages, even if the languages are 70% similar to one-another).
First of all there is the cucina abitabile. Ok, so it literally means "a kitchen that you can LIVE in". In Romanian "real estate culture", let's say, it means a kitchen where there's some sort of a couch and you can actually sleep there (gross). Well apparently in Italian it means "a kitchen that you can EAT in". As in, it actually has a table and chairs. Which makes it not only non-avoidable, but also extremely desirable for me. Funny as it may seem, the term of abitabile used for "eating" is not so strange when you think of a nation that spends half of her day eating. A day without colazione, pausa pranzo, aperitivo, cena (3 courses??? bring them on!!) would be absolutely boring and I totally agree. Ok I am being pretty unfair on the last 2 points: you don't have the cena if you had the aperitivo (you don't, right???) So yes, I DO want a cucina abitabile. 
Then there's the angolo cottura. I was living with the sensation that this is an exception, but discovered that it's more often the rule. At least in my budget range. Because yes, it seems that an angolo cottura (cooking corner) is all that I can (most likely) afford. Great. But I guess I can just improvise us a cucina abitabile out of a writing table and 2 chairs, no?

This whole "kitchen reflection" leads my thoughts to a related but slightly different topic, the one of food differences: how and what I eat now, vs. how and what I WILL eat in Italy. But I will post it separate, for the sake of consistency.

Love,
La Reina Rana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground